How to make fishing lures? This question has been asked by millions of anglers around the world. There are several ways to make fishing lures. The most common way is to use a hook, sinkers, and other materials.
Tyger Leader is reader-supported and may earn a commission when you book or purchase using our links. Learn more about our affiliate disclaimer here.
Fishing lures are tools used to attract fish. They come in various shapes and sizes. Some are designed to imitate prey animals such as frogs, crayfish, or even insects, while others are meant to mimic natural objects found near water.
What Equipment Do I Need To Make A Lure?
Before you start making your own lure, you must have all the necessary equipment. These include:
• Hooks – You will need at least one size 1/0 hook for each lure you plan on making.
• Sinkers – You’ll also need about 10-20 weightless sinkers.
• Materials – You will need some type of thread, glue, paintbrush, and scissors. You may also need sandpaper, wood, a drill, PVC pipe, pliers, and plastic tubing.
Different Types Of Fishing Lures
Before you start making your own fishing lure, you’ll also need to familiarize yourself with the different types of lures and find out which one you need. Below is a list of popular lures and their uses.
1. Spinnerbait – This is a lure that spins when pulled through the water. It can be made from plastic, wood, or metal.
2. Jigging – This is a bait that looks like an insect or worm. It’s usually attached to a jig head.
3. Spinners – This is a lure with a spinner blade attached to its body. It resembles a shrimp.
4. Crankbaits – This is a lure consisting of a crank mechanism. It’s usually used during nighttime.
5. Jerkbaits- This is a lure that resembles a small fish. It’s usually used for catching bass.
6. Stickbaits – This is another kind of lure that resembles a stick. It’s often used to catch bluegills.
7. Surface Lures – This is a lure used to catch fish while they’re swimming along the surface of the water.
8. Poppers – This is a lure resembling a frog. It’s usually used to catch largemouth bass.
There are dozens of other lures you can make and use, but these are the most common types used by anglers.
How To Make A Crankbait Lure
Making a crankbait is easy and fun. All you need is a piece of wire, a hook, and a few materials. To begin, cut off a long piece of wire (about 6 inches).
Then bend the end into a circle shape. Next, attach the hook to the center of the circle. Finally, wrap the wire around the hook so that the looped ends face outward. Now you’ve got a basic crankbait.
To finish, apply a coat of clear nail polish to the outside of the wire and let dry completely before using.
To make a crankbait more attractive, try painting the outside of the wire any color you want. Just leave the wire plain if you don’t want to do this.
How To Make A Spinner Bait Lure
This is a very simple lure to make. Just take a piece of plastic tubing and cut it into two equal parts. Attach hooks to both sides of the tube. Make sure the hooks are facing opposite directions.
You can add decorations to your spinners if you’d like. For example, try adding beads, feathers, or anything else you think would appeal to fish.
How To Make A Jerk Bait Lure
A jerk bait is a great way to catch catfish in ponds. The best part about making a jerk bait is that you only need a few supplies. First, choose a suitable material for the body of your jerk bait. For example, you could use a piece of PVC pipe or a wooden dowel.
Next, drill holes into the body of your jerk bait. Then, drill a hole every inch or so on each side of the body. After drilling all the holes, insert a hook into each hole. You should now have a jerk bait ready to go!
Now comes the fun part: decorate your jerk bait. Use paint, glitter, or any other type of decoration you’d like. Once you’re done decorating, let the jerk bait dry entirely before using it.
How To Make A Stick Bait Lure
Stick baits are one of the easiest lures to make. They come in many different shapes and sizes. Some are designed to resemble worms or insects, and others look like minnows or frogs. Some even look like real sticks!
The first step in making a stick bait is choosing the correct size. First, select a length that will allow you to fit your hook through the top of the bait. Also, consider how thick the bait needs to be. Thicker baits tend to sink faster than thinner ones.
Once you know what size bait you want to make, start cutting. Cut the bait from a piece of wood with a hacksaw or an electric saw. Be careful when cutting; you don’t want to cut yourself accidentally.
Once you’ve finished cutting, sand down the edges of the bait; sanding helps prevent splinters.
After sanding, glue the bait onto a hook. Glue works well because it doesn’t damage the bait. However, if you prefer, you could also tie the bait directly onto the hook.
After gluing the bait onto the hook, let it dry completely. When the bait has dried, you’re ready to use it.
Pros And Cons Of Making Fishing Lures
Fishing lures are essential tools for catching fish. But they aren’t always as easy to make as people might think. In fact, some types of fishing lures can be pretty challenging to make. So here’s a list of pros and cons associated with making fishing lures.
- Easy to make
- Can be made inexpensively
- Works well
- Lots of time required
- Requires lots of materials
- Might not work out the way you expect
As any keen angler will agree, fishing is one of the greatest joys in life. If you want to make your own lures and take more creative control over the fishing process, we hope we’ve shown you just how easy it is to do yourself. Not only is it easy, but it’s also fun! So, get those tools to hand and start creating your own lures today.